Saturday, July 4, 2009

W estercon

Every so often, science fiction fans get together to socialize, meet authors and artists, discuss things like science, art, acting, films and the like. These get togethers are called "cons" by the fen (fannish plural of fan). Westercon is one of these cons, an annual event held in the American west and moving from town to town depending on which local sf club is willing to organize a con.
Meeting favorite authors and artists is the big reason I started attending cons. But after a few years, I had made good friends that I only saw at one or another con. Published writers began taking me under their wing and making suggestions for improving my writing and/or getting my fiction published. There were always new, interesting people coming over my horizon.
For example, on the first day of Westercon, I met Stan Schmidt, an author and the editor of Analog, a magazine of science fiction fact. Michael Stackpole, another author, was there and they talked. during the time I was able to listen, I learned more about what publishers want from authors and how to present my work.
There are multiple activities at cons. These consist of panels which cover various aspects of writing, art, even of being a fan. Authors do readings of their work. Costumers discuss the making of hall and masquerade costumes. New and old types of science fiction and fantasy are discussed. Various experts give workshops. Woman hungry men search for women and vice versa.
At many cons, these activities stop (except for the searching) around dark and big events like the masquerade are held. But even when there is no big event, there are parties. The parties are hosted by sf clubs who are "selling" their city for a future con, by clubs wanting to thank fen for voting or working for them and by people who like parties. If they're not too noisy, the parties are great places for one on one conversations with people usually busy or surrounded by a group.
My ambition is still to get one of my stories published and to see my novel in print when I get around to finishing it. These parties usually give me the opportunity to put my name in front of a publisher or editor. They have resulted in invitations to submit work for consideration.
I'm running out of time before I go to speak on a panel of my own. I'll finish with a brag. Diana Gabaldon attended a caffe klatch and gave a reading yesterday. I attended both. If you don't know who Diana is, just look for her name in the fiction of the nearest book store. You are in for a delightful read.
There are a few pictures that I have of authors and artists. I'll post these when I return to Little Rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment