Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Horrible memory

A friend was telling me and some others about the trip he took to New York, NY in September of 2001. Yes, he was there when the Trade Center was hit. In fact, he was near enough to go try to help.

When he arrived, people were still fleeing the buildings. The thing he remembers most graphically was women running from the danger. Most of them had been wearing high heels and lost their shoes. The shattered glass from the windows was in their path. He recalls that their feet were bleeding.

That mental picture has stayed with me ever since our conversation. I remind myself that shoes are the most important thing to wear in any disaster, whether it be earthquake, tornado, fire or explosion. And I keep imagining those torn feet. The image is so horrid that I had to share it, in the hope that if I talked about it, the horror would lessen.

No comments:

Post a Comment