Monday, May 25, 2015

Fiji log 3 --- 25 May 2015

     Fran and I went walking today.  We explored the resort and area around it.  The unplanted area was especially interesting and we saw wild plants.  Some, like lantana were those we nursed along in Arkansas after buying from nurseries.  Others were a mystery.  Some of the wonder-whats were explained by Evolone in his herbal lecture this afternoon.
     I met an Australian couple and we made a date for snorkeling on the resort reef.  I don't have an underwater camera, but got some nice shots from the dock and along the shore.  The reef was great!  Lots of soft corals and plenty of small, colorful fish swimming among the growths.
harmless, blue jellyfish

schools of sardine-like fish that gather in the marina and in shallow water.


one of the larger fish that sought shade under the dock.

     The standard greeting in Fiji is "Bula" meaning hello or welcome or what are you doing here, depending on the context.  Wananavu is in Ra Province.  Here, they say "Yandra" which is good morning.  According to Evalone, the Ra people say "Yandra" at any 
time of the day.  Since I usually say good morning no matter what the time, I must be the result of some genetic cross-over between Ra, Fiji and New Jersy, USA.  This is Evalane.  He gives classes on cocoanuts and traditional medicine.

     We did see a couple of main food crops here:
tapioca.  The root is used to make the starch.

sugar cane.  There is one processing plant left on  Viti Levu (the island we're on.)
     Imported sugars have made local production less attractive and some of the plants have closed.  The cane fields here are comparatively small.  All the gathering is by hand.  The canes are loaded onto a narrow gauge railway.
The railway is used only during harvest season.  Other times of the year, cattle and goats graze along the line.  I guess that makes it easier to clear the tracks when they are required.

    I know that I promised no more gloating about the IDL, but last night, while it was still my birthday in the USA, the dive group threw a party for me, with cake and everything.  I drank too much, but still made it to our room on my feet.  Today is our second Memorial Day.  Please remember those who are serving, who served and those who gave their all to protect our country.  WELCOME HOME, brothers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment