Sunday, February 7, 2010

Superbowl Party

Here I sit, in a hotel room (with wifi) watching the Superbowl on an excellent television. It's a good game and I enjoyed The Who halftime show.

So why am I alone? This afternoon, I watched a wonderful presentation at Washington University in St. Louis. Their women's soccer team took second in their division and the women's volleyball team won the national division III championship. None of these beautiful women, who I have been supporting for over 20 years expected to see me. They were very sweet and one invited me to the sophomore suite for a Superbowl party.

I had to refuse. Each of them has family and friends their own age. I'm sure that the presence of a quiet, old man would add nothing to their enjoyment... and probably decrease it. I've noticed that their exuberance is somewhat restrained when they know I'm around. I'm taking nothing from this day for them. These are women that I have learned to love. I can enjoy this game (and the commercials) by myself tonight and think fondly of them having a rowdy good time. That's better.

I wish I had some pictures of the team to post. But mine have not been sent to me yet. All of you would agree that this is a group of lovely people. In addition to their physical talent and appearance, they have a superb intelligence and are highly disciplined. While their course load is distributed pretty much the same as the rest of WU's student population, their GPA is outstanding. They are just a pleasure to know.

Heck. I've forgotten which superbowl team I wanted to win.

Oh yes. I went to Whole Foods and bought a gourmet set of game noshes for one. Delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment