Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Ogdensburg, New York


Leaving a science fiction convention causes mixed emotions. There is the relief at getting away from the work, the happy anticipation of getting home to loved ones left behind opposed to the sorrow at leaving old and new friends and saying good bye to the many parties thrown each evening. Today's departure was made more piquant by discovering that I had left the reading light on in my car and having to wait for someone to give me a boost.
Between that and exploring this north east corner of NY state, I barely put 200 miles on the car. But they were lovely miles indeed. As soon as I left Montreal, I got off Hy15 and found a little vineyard in St. Jacques Minor. In New York, I found another place that made fruit wines and bought several. Of course I bought presents for family, friends and neighbors in the duty free shop, spending considerably more than the Canadian dollars I wanted to be rid of.
Tonight, in Ogdensburg, I found a beautiful inn at the side of the St. Lawrence Seaway. It was beside a restaurant that served me the nicest piece of beef I have had in more than a year. Walking out of the restaurant, I saw the sunset at the head of this post.
What could be nicer. Alas, I drank a glass of wine which, on top of the exhaustion of a week of nights with two to five hours sleep, made me very drowsy. Therefore, devoted readers, I shall tell more and show more another time.

Good Night

No comments:

Post a Comment